Today we're going to begin a new series in the Lockhart's Journal. This is something I've been meaning to do for a long time and my busy schedule has kept me from doing it. Today I've decided to stay late in the office and just get to it. This is a topic that I find to be incredibly important and I hope you feel the same way. In the Ingredient Spotlight blog posts I will explain more about the ingredients that we use in our products and why exactly we use them.
The first in the long list of Ingredients that we'll spotlight is the mighty Avocado Oil.
What is it?
Avocado oil is an edible oil that is extracted from, you guessed it, avocados.
How is it extracted?
The extraction process begins by picking out ripe avocados that are ready to be pressed. Next the avocados are thoroughly washed, de-skinned, and de-pitted, since the only part of the avocado that will be pushed through the press is the pulp. The pulp is then put into a centrifuge machine that will separate both oil and water from the pulp. Because the oil is less dense than the water it will rest on top and then flow through strategic holes in the machine. What comes out of the machine is a slightly thick, opaque green oil which is now fresh and ready to be sold to the public.
Avocado oil benefits
- Avocado oil contains an abundance of proteins, copper, monounsaturated fats, magnesium, folic acid, and minerals that aid in strengthening and moisturizing hair and skin.
- Avocado oil also contains a healthy dosage of vitamins E and B which can repair damage and prevent flaky scalp.
- Saturated and monounsaturated fats allow the oil to easily penetrate the hair follicles, providing support and strengthening the hair fibers. The only oil with a higher concentration of monounsaturated fats is Jojoba oil (which we'll be covering in a future post).
- The high fat content provides a higher shine to the hair strands, giving the hair a healthy appearance.
- Avocado oil helps to revive dried out hair that has been damaged by chemical treatments, heat treatments, relaxing treatments, etc.
- The concentration of monounsaturated fatty acids, phtosterols, and antioxidants helps to protect, nourish, stimulate growth, and unclog blocked follicles.